The Best Advice… from Hunter Lovins
Hunter Lovins is an incredibly accomplished environmental change agent – an author, an educator, a businesswoman, and a powerful speaker. Listening to her message, I left the conference re-inspired in my work, both at my paid job running a corporate sustainability program and at my volunteer job as president of a sustainability non-profit.
It was also one of those essential moments (of which I’m lucky to have had several) where someone that I highly respect, and whose work has altered my life path, re-confirmed that I am doing what I’m meant to do. In this case- sharing tools and training for environmentalists who want to increase their influence.
If the Audio plug-in doesn’t work for your browers, I apologize. You can also play the short MP3 (4 minutes) by clicking LovinsQA_IEC.
I noticed a few things:
- She specifically said, “It is OUR job to get better at talking to THEM.”
- She then goes into detail about how… which includes seeing, communicating, and asking about shared values.
- Among those values, she mentions: health, happiness, nourishment, opportunity, security, etc.
It was pivotal in my life and work, as environmentalist, when I first learned what it is I was doing wrong.
- I was pushing peoples’ hot-buttons without even realizing it.
- I was speaking in a way that (9 times out of 10) was turning people off.
- My passions and good intentions had trapped me into ineffective methods of communication.
Once I seriously re-considered my approach and sought out new, more effective ways to influence…
I had a major breakthrough, and began communicating in ways that influence others for good.